fbpx
Menu
Don't Eat Your Friends, Buy Legacy Foods Instead!!! ### Thank You For Visiting Preppernurse1.com - Ordering Now Available - Make Sure To Hug & Kiss The Ones You Love - S.T.D. One Step At A Time, One Thing At A Time, One Day At A Time ###
Forum/Community Rules (02 Mar 2019)

This is the short and sweet version. Most of it is just common sense. We just want to ensure a safe and welcoming environment for everyone.

Raising chicks without electricity

• TheWanderingDog
  • TheWanderingDog's Avatar Topic Author
More
08 Nov 2019 23:29 #2403 by TheWanderingDog
Raising chicks without electricity was created by TheWanderingDog
This past June I had aquired by lovely hens when they were all 1-2 weeks old. I've raised many chicks in the past years using the traditional means of brooders and heat lamps and high electric bills.

With this new flock I was raising I wanted to do something different. I had been reading non-electric ways if raising chicks.

So that's what I did. I used a small animal (guinea pig) cage. Consisting of two water bottles, 2 socks, a feather duster and towels. I also utilized my chick thermometer.

By filling the bottles with hot water and covering them with the socks I created a small "nest" area in the corner of the cage. I than tied a feather duster just above the bottles to allow the chicks to snuggle into the feathers between the bottles and help retain the heat. I then covered the cage with 2 towels.

During the first couple weeks I changed out the water as it cooled several times during the day. In the morning when I woke up, when I got home from work, in the evening and right before going to bed. And if I worried I'd change the water in the middle of the night.

But as they got bigger it was mainly in the morning, after work and bedtime.

At night the towels would be completely covering the cage to help keep the warmer air in. By day I would open the front so they could get daylight and see the coming and goings of the house.

I kept the thermometer near a bottle. The temps weren't as high as recommended, but when snuggled up between the bottles, h see the feather duster and with each other they were just fine. After the first week or so they spent more time away from their nest...if they were chilly, they'd go and lay against a bottle and nap.

All 9 of my chicks remained healthy and are all now beautiful 5 month old hens and roosters. I hope this had been helpful!!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: trail, tnmtnman, Oldie3, FLBSCGal914

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2019 23:23 #2460 by trail
Replied by trail on topic Raising chicks without electricity
Please login to view the answers

More
21 Nov 2019 09:58 #2462 by Oldie3
Replied by Oldie3 on topic Raising chicks without electricity

More
21 Nov 2019 11:30 #2463 by trail
Replied by trail on topic Raising chicks without electricity

• TheWanderingDog
More
21 Nov 2019 13:38 #2478 by TheWanderingDog
Replied by TheWanderingDog on topic Raising chicks without electricity

More
01 Dec 2019 16:32 #2500 by Serenity Farms
Replied by Serenity Farms on topic Raising chicks without electricity

• TheWanderingDog
More
04 Dec 2019 16:19 #2506 by TheWanderingDog
Replied by TheWanderingDog on topic Raising chicks without electricity