fbpx
Menu
Don't Eat Your Friends, Buy Legacy Foods Instead!!! ### Thank You For Visiting Preppernurse1.com - Ordering Now Available - Make Sure To Hug & Kiss The Ones You Love - S.T.D. One Step At A Time, One Thing At A Time, One Day At A Time ###
Forum/Community Rules (02 Mar 2019)

This is the short and sweet version. Most of it is just common sense. We just want to ensure a safe and welcoming environment for everyone.

Prepping for a Storm

• nomifyle
  • nomifyle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Prepper
  • Junior Prepper
More
29 Aug 2019 21:37 #2188 by nomifyle
Prepping for a Storm was created by nomifyle
I lived in New Orleans for 40 years, this is the 14 anniversary of Katrina and I suffered the aftermath and loss of almost everything. We did evacuate timely and I took most of my food with me.

Now I live about 300 miles north of New Orleans, in the woods. If a storm was coming here this weekend I would not have to rush to the store to buy anything. I keep a good supply of bottled water, I also have a big berkey but I don't use it on a day to day basis, its kind of for serious emergencies, plus I can't stand the taste of the water from it. Plus we catch rain water and have large painted tanks to store it in.

After a 4 day power outage in May i've reconsidered what I keep on hand for short term emergencies. I have several ways to cook, too bad I don't have my gas stove hooked up, but maybe in the not too distant future. We keep a variety of shelf stable canned foods that can be eaten out of the can but would taste better hot. I'm also giving consideration to using Thrive freeze dried foods, so easy to put a meal together.

We have a dual fuel generator and keep a supply of gas and propane. Propane lasts longer.

There are few things that are kind of pricey that I would like to add to our supplies, a volcano stove and a rocket stove, maybe in the future.

We are good for the long term.

Judy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2019 06:08 #2196 by MawmawTx
Replied by MawmawTx on topic Prepping for a Storm
Please login to view the answers

• nomifyle
  • nomifyle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Prepper
  • Junior Prepper
More
30 Aug 2019 10:53 #2199 by nomifyle
Replied by nomifyle on topic Prepping for a Storm

More
31 Aug 2019 06:17 #2205 by Serenity Farms
Replied by Serenity Farms on topic Prepping for a Storm

More
02 Sep 2019 09:16 #2224 by trail
Replied by trail on topic Prepping for a Storm