fbpx
Menu
Don't Eat Your Friends, Buy Legacy Foods Instead!!! ### Thank You For Visiting Preppernurse1.com - Ordering Now Available - Make Sure To Hug & Kiss The Ones You Love - S.T.D. One Step At A Time, One Thing At A Time, One Day At A Time ###
Forum/Community Rules (02 Mar 2019)

This is the short and sweet version. Most of it is just common sense. We just want to ensure a safe and welcoming environment for everyone.

Talking about salt.

More
09 Mar 2019 18:31 #640 by TikaCalifornia
Talking about salt. was created by TikaCalifornia
Hi.

One of the things that I see missing from PN1 and from many many other places is the importance of salt. And if it's just because I haven't seen it, please accept my apology.

First: definition. There are many salts on the market and generally when not designated for reverse osmosis water softeners, they are good for eating. Iodized salt is especially good for the table and for immediate cooking since Iodine is a necessary trace nutrient. I have no experience beyond the table with pink salt. When I talk about salt here, I am talking about pure salt, pure sea salt, Kosher salt or canning salt. If the ingredient label includes anything that speaks to free-flowing agent or anti-caking agent, it is likely not useful for what I am discussing. I say likely, because I trust the skills of my wonderful neighbor who uses a salt with a free-flowing agent. I prefer to err on the side of caution and not use that.

Uses of salt beyond the table shaker. The first thing that comes to my mind is lacto-fermentation. It is unrealistic to think that anyone reading this has not consumed a lacto-fermented food, and many of us consume them daily. This include pickles, sour-kraut, hot peppers and the list goes on for miles. I see many preppers storing canning supplies with the intent to water-bath or pressure can food, but lacto-fermentation is delicious, easy, healthy and sometimes, when you get a bunch of folks together with a side of lunch - fun. There are countless videos on the web about this, but the basics are to clean fresh vegetables, cut them, put them in a brine of 1-2 tbs pure salt to quart of pure water and let them sit.

Curing meat. I’m not going to speak much here, but my neighbors and I put up a pig a few months ago, and we are getting ready for smoking. I was amazed at how much salt we used. Same for sugar, spices and curing salt which although pink in color, is NOT the Himalayan pink salt for the table. I am so glad that we did that because I had no idea how much salt is used to cure pork. My best advice: buy a pork roast at the market, turn on the videos and experiment for yourself. It may set you back a few bucks, but it will certainly teach you just exactly how unprepared you might be for curing meat at home. Worst case – you toss it in the garbage, best case, you end up with cured pork and an education worth having.

Leather tanning. There are methods to tan leather without salt, but I have done salt-tanning successfully. The pigskin from the animal mentioned above is brain-tanned and ready for smoking with the meat.

Cleaning and hygiene. Salt water can be used as a skin cleaner, and more than once I have seen saline solution used on a surgical area before betadine treatment. Salt is also good for deodorant and I use a natural crystal deodorant since I’m leery of aluminum hydroxide. It makes a good scouring agent, especially in bottles and jars that you can’t get your hands or brushes in. Simply drop a goodly amount of salt down it with a little water and swish until all the stuff is gone. This is especially good for cleaning wine bottles that I use for wine-bottle lamps.

I’m sure if you’ve gotten this far, you’ve probably used salt and ashes to de-ice steps or walkways.

I am certain that there are at least another million more uses for salt, and I look forward to any additions. Best advice, no matter how much salt you’ve got stored, it’s probably not enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheWatchman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2019 03:33 #663 by Slopokeks1
Replied by Slopokeks1 on topic Talking about salt.
Please login to view the answers

More
27 May 2019 00:45 #1475 by trail
Replied by trail on topic Talking about salt.

More
27 May 2019 16:50 #1484 by nomifyle
Replied by nomifyle on topic Talking about salt.

More
17 Aug 2019 22:04 #2149 by trail

More
17 Aug 2019 23:48 #2152 by nomifyle
Replied by nomifyle on topic Talking about salt.

More
29 Mar 2020 08:13 - 29 Mar 2020 08:15 #3633 by trail

More
14 Apr 2020 06:24 #3862 by Ron Cearley
Replied by Ron Cearley on topic Talking about salt.

More
15 Apr 2020 15:23 #3883 by trail